The The Role of human agency on People's Desire for cosmetic surgery
Abstract views: 170 / PDF downloads: 9
Keywords:human agency, cosmetic surgery, body image, distortion..
In today's fast-paced society, the range of relationships has developed due to the existence of various communication ways and the appearance of people as the first recognizable symbol and sign and as a basic component for evaluating social status has become very important. Today, with the formation of the consumer society, the expansion of the media and the reflection of identity, people start building their bodies, and what is very important in this is to correct the cause of this desire and tendency.
The present study was conducted with the aim of investigating the impact of human agency on people's tendency to perform cosmetic surgeries by using a review method. In this method, the main keywords were searched in the scientific databases of Google Scholar, SID, Noormagz, and Pubmed from 1383 to 1400. 103 articles were found. After the necessary checks and removing duplicate articles, 63 articles were finally reviewed.
In the reviewed articles, all of which dealt with the effect of various factors on cosmetic surgery and human agency, the results showed that cosmetic surgery is influenced by psychological factors and that a person's body image has a significant effect on performing surgery. Also, other factors such as the desire to gain social status, lack of mental health, imitation of friends, orientation to the opposite sex, level of education, lack of self-confidence, etc. are also effective factors in performing cosmetic procedures. On the other hand, according to research, a person with a high human agency is a complex being with will and authority who can control his life conditions through the process of thinking, motivation and action.
Based on the findings, it can be stated that strengthening and increasing human agency with the right methods and practices in a supportive and rich environment can reduce the desire to perform surgeries that are not therapeutic and only due to the existence of psychological issues and A person's negative body image is formed.
• Ghasemi, Somia. (2016) Factors affecting the tendency of people to undergo cosmetic surgery with an emphasis on gender (a study of women and men aged 18 to 55 in Tehran), Master's thesis of Tehran University
• Hosseini, Z. Karbalai, A. Gramipour, M. (2017) The structural model of the relationship between body image, irrational beliefs and mental health in cosmetic surgery applicants, thought and behaviour, twelfth period, number 48-17-26
• Pirahari, N. Bidaran, p. (2016) "Social factors affecting women's tendency to cosmetic surgery", Women and Society Scientific-Research Quarterly, 8th year, 4th issue, 229-246
• Abbasi, M. Mohammad Panah, A. Abbasi, A. (2016) "Comparison of Beliefs About Appearance, Irrational Beliefs and Body Mass Profile in People Applying to People Needing Cosmetic Surgery" Skin and Beauty, Volume 7, Number Three, 156-162
• Bani Asadi, H. (2013) "The effect of nose surgery on the body image of women" Skin and Beauty, Volume Three, Number Four, 194-201
• Khanjani, Z. Babapour, J. Saba, G. (2017) Investigation and comparison of mental status and body image of cosmetic surgery applicants with non-applicants. Scientific Research Journal of Shahid Sadoqi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Volume 20, Number Two, 227-248
• Rahimi, A. Dalband, M. Shamsai, F. Zarrabian, M. (2012) "Investigation of the frequency of body orientation disorder and accompanying mental disorders in cosmetic surgery volunteers" Psychiatric Nursing, Volume One, Number Two, 70-78
• Keyvan Era, M. Rabbani, R. Gianpour, M. (1389) "Social stratification and body modification: cosmetic surgery as a symbol of social status" Women's Strategic Studies, Volume 12, Number 43, 73-98
• Mohib, N. Hosseini Nasab, D. Kalahi, P. (2008) "Comparative study of personality disorders among Taliban cosmetic surgery and ordinary people" Women and Family Studies, first year, number 3, 91-106
• Khanjani, Zainab. Babapour, J. Saba, G. (2017) "Comparison of mental disorders in cosmetic surgery applicants with non-applicants" Research Journal of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, 17th year, number one, 26-31
• Asadi, M. Salehi, M. Sadouqi, M. Afkham Ebrahimi, A. (2013) Self-esteem and attitude towards physical appearance before and after rhinoplasty, Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, year 19, number one, 28- 33
• Zamani, N. Faziltpour, M. (2013) "Effect of rhinoplasty on self-esteem and negative self-image" Journal of Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Volume 20, Number Five, 492-504
• Mahmoudi, Y. Mohaddisi, H. Tajuddin, M. (2016) "Sociological study of the reasons and consequences of cosmetic surgery for women and men living in Tehran" Quarterly of the Social Cultural Council of Women and Family, 20th volume, number 77, 139-167
• Mousavizadeh, M. Niazi Shahraki, F. Kalantarhormzi, A. Fadaei, A. Nasri, M. (2008) "Evaluation of Female Patient's Attitude and Motivations in Cosmetic Surgery" Research Journal of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Year 14, Number Six, 318-323
• Mohammad Panah, A. Yaqoubi, H. Yousefi, R. (2013) "Research article predicting factors of seeking cosmetic surgery" Journal of Principles of Mental Health, year fifteen, number four, 245-254
• Elson, M., and Herganhan, B. R. (2014). Introduction to learning theories. Translated by Aliakbar Saif. Tehran: Duran.
• Mahdavi Mazdeh, M. (2015). The relationship between perception of parenting styles, perceived classroom environment based on determinism and resilience: the mediating role of human agency. Master's thesis of Tehran University
• Mehghani, Z. (2016) Presenting the conceptual model of human agency among adolescents in Tehran. Master's thesis. Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences. University of Tehran.
• Burke, Laura. (1390). Psychology of development: from adolescence to the end of life, translated by Yahya Seyed Mohammadi. Tehran: Arsbaran. (The original work was published in 2007).
• Tanhai Rashvanlu, Farhad., Hijazi, Elahe (2013). The role of conflict, autonomy support, and warmth of mother and father in autonomous motivation and academic performance, Family Research Magazine, 67-82.
• Pourkaveh Dehkordi, Elaha. Khan Mohammadi, Arslan. Abbasi, Ali Azghar. Meta-analysis of Iranian women's tendency towards cosmetic surgery. Scientific Journal of Health Psychology. Year 9, Number 2, Pages 7-24
• Azad Aramaki, Taghi and Chavoshian. (1381), body as a medium of identity. Iranian Journal of Sociology. No. 16, pages 57-75
• Abbaszadeh, Mohammad; Mahmoud Moulai Kermani, Betul; Aghdasi Alamdari, Frank (2014). Sociological study of the interventionist role of the variable of social acceptance in influencing the media on women's tendency towards beauty with surgery47. To 65: Women and Society Scientific Research Quarterly. Q 5. Sh. 47
• Mohammad Panah Ardakan, Ezra; Yacoubi, Hassan; Yousefi, Rahim (1391). Personality traits and defensive styles in people 72 to 82: cosmetic surgery volunteers. Skin and beauty. Q3. Sh72
• Mousavizadeh, Mehdi; Niazi Shahraki, Faiz Allahi; Sheriff Hormazi Abdul Majid, Fadaei Naini, Alireza; Nasri Lari, Mahdi (1388). Evaluation of tendencies and perceptions of female patients in cosmetic surgeries. Researcher magazine. Q 14. Sh
• Noghani, Mohsen; Mazloum Khorasani, Mohammad; Warsaw, Somia (1389). Social factors affecting women's cosmetic surgery. Psychological studies. Q8. No. 75 to 101
• Zakai, Mohammad Saeed. (2008) Youth, body and fitness culture. Cultural Research Quarterly. first year. No. 1, pages 117-141
• Ghasemi, Afsana (2016). A qualitative study of women's attitudes and perceptions of the body with an emphasis on cosmetic surgeries. Applied sociology. 28th year, serial number (68), pages 634-679
• Fathi, Mohammadreza, Kiamanesh, Alireza, Jamehari, Farhad. (2017) The role of human agency, gender and age in identity characteristics: Arendt's emerging adulthood. Transformational psychology, Iranian psychologists, year 15, number 57, pages 33-44
• Mahmoudi, Yousri. Muhaddi Gilwai, Hassan. (2016). Sociological study of the body industry: (Qualitative study of the reasons and consequences of cosmetic surgeries of women living in the city of Haran 2015): Women in Development and Politics, Volume 15, Number 4, Pages 523 to 547
• Sajjadieh, Narges, (2018). A look at the educational approach of Montessori from the perspective of human agency. Journal of philosophy of education, number 7 (scientific-research/ISC). Pages 119 to 144
• Zare, Hossein. Hosni, Ferishte. Dosti, Reza. Comparison of obvious and non-obvious self-esteem in women applying for nose surgery with normal people. (2018) Scientific Journal of Psychological Health. Year 8, Number 2, Pages 144 to 133
• Zoghi, Mohammad Reza, Karmi, Afsaneh, Nabizadeh, Safdar. (2017). Comparison of body image disorder, body deformity disorder and fashion tendency in people applying and not applying for cosmetic surgery. (Scientific-psychological research quarterly of health. Seventh year, number two, pages 7 to 24
• Alamdar, Maryam. Qalabandi, Farhad.. (2004). Personality characteristics of cosmetic surgery volunteers. Thoughts and Behavior, ninth year, number 4, pages 11 to 17
• Ash'ari, Zahra; Hosni, Mohammad. (2013). Explanation and critique of moral agency in social cognitive learning theory. Journal of educational sciences from the perspective of Islam. Number 3 (ISC), pages 93 to 112
• Hijazi, Elaha. Naqsh, Zahra. (2017). The relationship between the perception of parenting styles and resilience: the mediating role of human agency. Psychology magazine, year 87, number twenty-two, pages 326 to 343
• Mehghani, Zahra. Hejazi, Elahe. Sejadieh, Narges. (1400). Adolescents' perception and understanding of the concept of agency: a phenomenological study. Quarterly journal of applied psychological research, year 12, number 1, pages 19 to 38
• Goodman,Michael., Placik, Otto., Matlock,David., Simopoulos,Alex.,Dalton, Teresa.,Veale,David., &Hardwick-Smith, Susan (2016). “Evaluation of body image and sexual satisfaction in women undergoing female genital plastic/ cosmetic surgery”,Aesthetic surgery journal، 36(9) ، pp 1048-1057
• -Yousefi N, Shyrbgy N. Early Maladaptive Schema Questionnaire credibility among young students. Journal of psychiatry and behavioral sciences 2010; 4 (1): 38-46(Persian).
• -Swami, V., Arteche, A., Chamorro-Premuzic, T., Furnham, A., Stieger, S., Haubner, T., et al. (2008). Looking good: Factors affecting the likelihood of having cosmetic surgery. European Journal of PlasticSurgery, 30: 211–218.
• -Ashikali, Eleni-Marina & Helga Dittmar & Susan Ayers (, 2014 (Adolescent girls’ views on cosmetic surgery: A focus group study, Journal of Health Psychology, Reprints and Holliday, Ruth & Joanna Elfving-Hwang(2012), Gender, Globalization and Aesthetic Surgery in South Korea, Body & Society,18(2) 58-81,ualitative study, Electron J Gen Med 2018;15(3)
• Turner, Bryan S (٢٠٠٨), The Body & Society: Explorations in Social Theory, 3rd Edition, SAGE Publications Ltd
• Bandura, A. (2001). Social Cognitive Theory: An Agentic Perspective. Annul. Review Psychology, 52, 1-26.
• Shanahan, M. J. (2000). Pathways to adulthood in changing societies: Variability and Mechanisms in Life Course Perspective. Annual Review Sociol, 26, 667-692.
• Macmillan, R. (2007). Constructing Adulthood: Agency and Subjectivity in the transition to Adult-hood. In R. Macmillan (Ed.), Advances in Life Course Research, Constructing Adulthood: Agency and Subjectivity in Adolescence and Adulthood (pp. 3–29). Elsevier JAI.
• Elder, G. H., Jr. (1981). History and the life course. In D. Bertaux (Ed.), Biography and society (pp. 77-115). Beverly Hills. CA; Sage
• Elder, G. H., Jr. (1994). Time, Human Agency, and So-cial Change: Perspectives on the Life Course. So-cial Psychology Quarterly, 57 (1), 4-15.
• Cote, J. E., Mizokami, S., Roberts, S. E., & Nakama, R. (2016). An examination of the cross-cultural va-lidity of the Identity Capital Model: American and Japanese students compared. Journal of Adoles-cence, 46, 76-85
• Bandura, A. (1989).Human agency in social cognitive theory. American Psychologist, 44, 1175-1184
• Bandura, A. (2001). Social cognitive theory: An agentic perspective. Annual Review of Psychology. 52, 1-26.
• Bandura, A. (2006).Toward a psychology of human agency, Perspectives on Psychological Science, 1, 164-180.
• Hitlin, S., & Johnson, M.K (2015). Reconceptualizing agency within the life course: The power of looking a head. American Journal of Sociology, 120, 1429-1472.
• Cash TF, Labarge AS. Development of the appearance schemas inventory: A new cognitive body-image assessment. Cognit Ther Res 1996; 20(1):37-50.
• Barker, D J & M J Barker The body as art, Blackwell Science Ltd ,Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology1/88-93
• Bandura, A. (2018). Toward a Psychology of Human Agency: Pathways and Reflections. Perspectives on Psychological Science. 13(2), 130–136
• Elder Jr, G. H., & Shanahan, M. J. (2007). The Life Course and Human Development. In R. M. Lerner & W. Damon (Eds.), Handbook of child psychology: Theoretical models of human development (p. 665–715). John Wiley & Sons Inc.
• Edwards, A. (2005). Relational Agency: Learning to Be a Resourceful Practitioner. International Journal of Educational Research. 43(3), 168-182.
• Hitlin, S., & Elder, J. G. H. (2006). Agency: An Empirical Model of an Abstract Concept. Advances in Life Course Research. 11(1), 33–67.
• Hitlin, S., & Elder, J. G. H. (2007). Time, Self, and the Curiously Abstract Concept of Agency. Sociological Theory. 25(2), 170–191.
• Yoon, H. J. (2019). Toward Agentic HRD: A Translational Model of Albert Bandura’s Human Agency Theory. Advances in Developing Human Resources. 21(3), 335–351
• Eccles, J. S. (2008). Agency and Structure in Human Development. Research in Human Development, 5(4), 231-243.
• Gurdal, S. (2015). Children and parents- attributions, attitudes, and agency (Doctoral Dissertation). Department of Psychology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
• Halpert, H., & Hill, H. (2011). The Locus of Control Construct’s Various Means of Measurement: A researcher’s guide to some of the more commonly used Locus of Control scales. Beach Haven, NJ, USA: Will to power press. Retrieved from http//:www.teachinternalcontrol.com/uploads/LOC_Measures__1_.pdf
• -Kashdan, T. B., & McKnight, P. E (2009). Origins of Purpose in Life: Refining our Understanding of a Life Well Lived. Psychological Topics, 18(2) 303-316
• Woolfolk, A. E. (2004). Educational psychology (9th Ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bakon.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Journal of New Findings in Health and Educational Sciences (IJHES)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.